While standing, walking, or running, your foot and ankle provide you the support, shock absorption, balance, and other functions that you need for motion. There are over 100 types of arthritis, many of these affect the foot and ankle. All types can make it difficult to walk and perform activities you enjoy. Ankle arthritis is usually caused by osteoarthritis. This is where the cartilage covering the ends of your bones gradually roughens and becomes thin, and the bone underneath thickens. It can also be caused by damage from other rheumatic conditions, for example, if you have rheumatoid arthritis, or if you’ve had a previous injury to the area. This leads to pain, swelling and occasional deformity of the joint. You may need ankle or foot surgery if your symptoms are severe.
Ankle and Foot Surgery
Ankle & Foot Doctor Near You
Call Nasa Bone & Joint to Schedule Your Appointment Today.
Signs You Should See A Foot Doctor:
- Pain with motion
- Pain that flares up with vigorous activity
- Tenderness when pressure is applied to the joint
- Joint swelling, warmth, and redness
- Increased pain and swelling in the morning, or after sitting or resting
- Difficulty in walking due to any of the above symptoms
Ankle Replacement Is Recommended To Patients Who Have:
- Advanced arthritis of the ankle
- Arthritis that has destroyed the joint surfaces
- Ankle pain that interferes with daily activities